"Oven - fried Squash" English
A dish closely linked to Greek summer, is without doubt the fried squash.
“Kolokithakia” is the Greek word to ask for this delicious dish and simply refers to the fried squash.
Elenas shares with you a healthier version of this traditional Greek appetizer, easy to make and equally delicious to dazzle your guests!
Preparation time: 10 min
Cook time: 15 min
Portions: 6 portions
- Greek extra virgin olive oil, to grease the baking tray (or else use a piece of parchment paper)
- 50 gr breadcrumbs
- 80 gr graviera cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 60 gr flour all purpose
- 4 medium squash, cut into round pieces of 5mm in thickness
This traditional Greek appetizer takes only 6 steps to make it and these are:
- Preheat the oven at 200 C, set to Fan.
- Wash the squash thoroughly and cut them into thin round pieces. Place them in a colander and season with salt.
Tip: Season well at that point! Salt will make the squash more tasty and crispy since it absorbs the water.
- In a large bowl add the breadcrumbs, the graviera cheese, all the herbs and mix well.
- In another bowl add the eggs and in a third bowl the flour.
- Dip the squash into the bowl with the flour, then into the bowl with the eggs and finally into the breadcrumbs mixture.
- Place the squash into the baking tray and bake for 15 minutes, until golden.
Kali oreksi/ Enjoy!