The perfect Greek recipe for cheese lovers!
“Saganaki”, is a tasty Greek appetizer made with cheese and covered with a nice thin crispy crust. This traditional Greek appetizer was named after the special pan it is usually being used to cook it, called “Sagani” which is a small two handled heavy bottom frying pan.
Saganaki is an excellent choice for a meze or any main meal!
Preparation time: 5 min
Cook time: 5 min
Portions: 4-6 portions
- 200 ml of Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 200 gr Dodoni Graviera
- 50 gr flour
- 200 ml water
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of honey (optional)
- lemon juice from one lemon (optional)
This traditional Greek appetizer takes only 4 steps to make it and these are:
- Start by mixing the flour and the salt into a bowl.
- Preheat a deep pan along with the olive oil over high heat.
- Prepare the cheese: Cut the cheese into 2 diagonal pieces and put them into the bowl with the flour. Then dip them into the water. Go through that process once more and lastly, pass the cheese through the flour one more time.
Tip: Select the right kind of cheese to make that recipe! The cheeses which are used in Greece to prepare this traditional recipe are graviera, kefalograviera and kefalotyri. They are all medium hardness cheese. The Cypriot halloumi is also being used for saganaki.
- Place the cheese onto the hot pan and fry each side for 2-3 minutes, until golden.
Tip: Remember! The cheese should be firm enough to hold up against the heat and not fully melted while being fried.
Springle the honey onto the cheese before serving, if you wish so, and your favorite Greek herb!
Kali oreksi/ Enjoy!